Limitations are either restrictions that prevent you from reaching your true potential or blessings that build strength and courage. They can be temporary or permanent and either visible or hidden.
I think of a hidden limitation as a closed sliding glass door that separates me from my destination. If I try to walk through the closed door, I will walk right into the glass and most likely get a brain banger of a headache. But if I make efforts to find the handle, I can slide it open and pass through. Do you find yourself repeatedly walking into sliding glass doors?
Limitations are masters of disguise that keep us from achieving our dreams and they can be real or perceived. Real limitations are those that are beyond our control such as a person’s height and perceived limitations are those that we accept whether or not our belief is accurate. The good news is, whether perceived or real, we can overcome these road blocks. The bad news is, when we get rid of one limitation, three or more can take its place.
As a child, I remember going to the local fair and playing a game where I hit the clown heads that popped up through a dozen or so holes with a wooden hammer. Sounds easy enough but the clowns randomly popped up and down in and out of so many holes it made me dizzy. Those clowns still give me nightmares!
As I grew older, I realized that the limiting factor between me and the larger than life stuffed bear dangling from the top of the booth was not the clowns, instead it was the machine hidden from sight that controlled the speed and randomness of the clowns. But then I thought what if the machine had a manual speed control, would that make the limitation the individual running the game? Then again, if the slower speed on the machine was broken, did that mean the limitation was the machine? What if the operator tried to get the part to fix the broken speed control but the manufacturer put them on back order, did that mean the manufacturer was the limitation? I could string this on for hours, but the point is, just as every action has a reaction, every limitation has a point of origin. There is some occurrence in your life that programmed your brain to think that you cannot accomplish your dream. The point of origin as it relates to you is something you must find.
Until you discover what it is that you are being limited from doing, you cannot identify the limiting factor. As for me, I've decided to put forth what ever effort is takes to expand my investment abilities and achieve financial freedom.
Remember to always keep an open mind so you are not fooled by the Master of Disguise.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment